Sports dentistry is one of the most recent and upcoming fields in dentistry. It mainly includes the prevention and management of athletics-related orofacial injuries and associated oral diseases. The sports or team dentist assists athletes in the prevention, treatment, and diagnosis of oral injuries.
The most significant aspect in preventing sports-related orofacial injuries is wearing basic protective devices such as properly-fitting helmets, face masks and/or mouth guards. Dental injuries are the most common type of orofacial injury sustained during participation in sports.
Many athletes are not aware of the health implications of a traumatic injury to the mouth or of the potential for incurring severe head and orofacial injuries while playing. The dentist can play an imperative role in informing athletes, coaches and parents about the importance of preventing orofacial injuries in sports.
So far there was no specialized Institute in India providing Sports education. ISST is essentially the first institute which aims to provide a scientific approach to sports education and guidance to young people interested in sports. ISST creates a launch pad for those who wish to be actively involved in the sports industry. The Distance Diploma in Sports Management course is created to promote management education within the sports world.
This course is a specialized program for dentists who wish to associate themselves within the sports industry. This program provides a structured approach to get an overall knowledge about the various roles of a sports dentist.
This course aims to touch the various vital aspects in the field of Sports Dentistry along with few guidelines as to how a sports dentist should manage athlete’s dento-facial injuries, fabricate mouth guards and covers many other topics like substance abuse counselling, correct dietary guidance considering the athlete’s requirement that would prevent damage to oral health, etc. With a blend of theoretical knowledge, our expert video lecture series and a one-day contact program, this course provides the best foundation knowledge in sports dentistry.
Certificate in Sports Dentistry:
Course Duration: Three Months
Eligibility: BDS from any recognized university in India
- Prevalence of Sports- related Dento-facial Injuries and their impact
- Introduction to Sports Dentistry
- Sports Physiology and Sports Medicine
- General Health, Oral Health & Care of the Athlete
- Sports Nutrition
- Doping/Substance Abuse and Counselling, Sports Psychology
- Prevention of Sports-Related Dento-facial Injuries
- Protective Equipment for Prevention of Craniofacial and Intraoral Injuries
- Information about Mouth guards
- Mouth guard Fabrication & Technology, Clinical Steps, and Patient Care
- Basic Sports First Aid
- Types of Dental and Facial Injuries
- Emergency and Long-term Management of Dental Injuries
- Emergency Management and Treatment for oro-facial and head injuries
The student can register online for the course in the Register/Login page providing personal, academic as well as payment details.
Once the details are filled and the Mode of payment is selected, the student can register for the student account. The student will be able to access his/her student account by providing the Username and Password given at the time of registration.
The students are required to send the following documents via post/courier at the ISST Distance Education office address mentioned below.
Documents to be sent to the ISST Distance Education Office (For Indian Students) :
- Photocopy of BDS mark sheet/certificate.
- Valid registration certificate/details with respective state’s dental council
- Two passport size photographs.
Study Material & Exam Details:
The study material for each course is prepared by experienced faculty members who are experts in the respective subjects and will be sent via courier/post in 15 working days, at the student registered address after the course fees are received by us. The period of 3 months of the course from enrollment will be given to the dentist for self-study of the material provided.
Exam Pattern: Theory 100 + Practical 50 = Total 150.
Theory exam –
– An exam at the end of the 3 months of 100 marks. 50 marks MCQ and 50 marks – 10 short answer questions 5 marks each – both to be given online. 50% passing in both MCQ and shorts answers required individually
– 30 Marks – Submission of a small project report regarding activity conducted with regards to various aspects of sports dentistry (it will be tentatively a small and simple activity where the dentist needs to get in touch with a local school/sports club, conduct a dental-checkup of small group of athletes and take an awareness session for the athletes and coaches regarding mouth guards and dento-facial injury prevention. The dentist needs to prepare a report of the activity along with photos of the activity and make a submission of around 8-10 pages max).
– 20 Marks – Attendance of 1 Day Workshop taken by the faculty at ISST where all the practical aspects regarding sports dentistry will be taught and discussed.
Dr. Sneha Divekar
- BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) from Maharashtra University of Health Science
- ‘International Certification in Aesthetic Dentistry and Oral Rehabilitation’ under
- New York University, College of Dentistry, USA
- Diploma in Sports Science at ISST, with Thesis Submission on ‘Importance of Mouthguards in Various Sports’.
- Diploma in Clinical Diet at IICTN
- Certificate in Sports Nutrition & Herbs, Supplements
- Certificate in Youth Fitness & Senior Fitness
- Certificate in Women’s Fitness and Weight Management
- Certificate in First Aid and CPR
- Certificate in Stress Mangement
- Experience of giving lectures on Sports dentistry guidance to various sports clubs, schools and colleges
- Member of Indian Dental Association
- Life Member of Indian Association of Sports Medicine
- Life Member of Indian Academy of Aesthetic & Cosmetic Dentistry
- Life Member of Nutrition Society of India